For fastening fiberglass, aluminum, stainless or bronze bar grating to steel beams
Your choice of fiberglass (or non-corrosive metal) grating presumes a hostile environment. In these applications, drilling the steel (and penetrating coatings) is inappropriate and counter-productive. Instead, fasten your grating with the suitable model of Grate-Fast Model FG.
- 300 Series Stainless Steel Bracket and Bolt
- 300 Series Stainless Steel Investment Casting with reduced body width to fit spacing as close as 5/8”
Grate-Fast FG (#GF-FG-1—#GF-FG-4)
- 5/16” socket head cap screw bolt, 300 series stainless steel
- Uses 1/4” hex wrench
- Profiled nose to fit on flat or sloping beam flanges
- 3/8” thread engagement for full loading and resistance to corrosion in thread area
- Stainless Steel 300 Series investment casting body
- 14 or 16 gauge, 300 series stainless steel top-hat bracket with one offset wing or flat wings to fit spacing between bars of 5/8” to 2”
- 2-1/4” cap screw bolt length to accommodate up to 2” bearing bar depth*
- Stepped tail fits beam flanges from 1/8” to 3/4”
*Longer cap screw bolts to accommodate applications using greater bearing-bar depths available on special order.
Top Hat Offset and Flat Brackets (see chart for #)
- 14 or 16 gauge top-hat offset or flat wing brackets also available individually
Position the pre-assembled Grate-Fast with the body between the grating bars and the arrow on the nose pointing toward the steelwork with the top-hat bracket resting on the bearing bars. (Figure 1)
Slide the Grate-Fast FG toward the steelwork until the nose fits under the beam flange. Where necessary, adjust the body/bolt to the approximate flange thickness/grating depth. (Figure 2)
Tighten the cap screw bolt using the hexagon key. The Grate-Fast FG body casting will automatically rotate until it locks under the bearing bar, with the nose under the flange. Continue tightening to the recommended torque. Grate-Fast FG is now securely in position. (Figure 3)
› Malleable iron to DIN 1692,
corresponding to ANSI/ASTM A47-84-32510
› Minimum yield strength: 32,500 psi
› Minimum tensile strength: 50,000 psi
› Modulus of elasticity: 25,000,000 lbs.
› Minimum elongation: 10% in 2”
› BHN range: 110–130
› Machinability: 120
Bracket: ASTM-A 300 series stainless
Socket head cap screw bolt: AISI C1008 300 series stainless
Weight per 100 units: 35 lbs.
Grate-Fast FG: 3 1/2 ft. lbs
Ultimate Load: 800 lbs.
Average Side Load (depending on depth and coating): 450 lbs.